Since Hartley was not an idiot - quite the opposite - and he'd spotted a very sombre looking Cisco walking out of the grief counselling group, he took initiative and headed into the staff kitchen, so he could fill two cups with coffee, remembering roughly how Cisco liked his. He walked back out just in time to intercept the other man on his way to the coffee machine. Some habits didn't change and were predictable.
"Hey, I have the good stuff for you." He hadn't known that Cisco would be here and he certainly didn't mean to pry. They weren't that close. Hartley really wasn't that close to anyone and given his general conduct, that was probably for the better. But holding out a cup of fresh coffee for an occasional colleague couldn't be that wrong. "The coffee from the machine is barely drinkable."
"Oh shit! Woah! Sorry, God, where the hell did you come from?" What the ever loving hell? He was fumbling for change and suddenly, bam! Hartley Rathaway was there, holding coffee like some kind of weird coffee hero who fought against the worst coffee of society and championed the good stuff. Or, hopefully the good stuff. Cisco was a little jumpy, he wasn't going to deny that but it was wise to be jumpy. Given he got kidnapped every tuesday of the month these days. People suddenly appearing? It got to him.
"Erm, sorry. Yeah, no, thanks." He took the coffee awkwardly and took a few steps back, eyeing Hartley suspiciously. Hartley was a good colleague these days, always there when he needed him and always one skype call away but the fact he was just randomly here had sort of thrown him. Is this where he worked out? Did he see where Cisco was going? Aww, damn. "So ... you're here."
"Yes. On staff." Hartley indicated his name badge before taking a sip from his coffee, than continued after swallowing. "LGBT counselling, just volunteering when I can." He paused to wave to a group of people who said goodbye to him, then looked at Cisco again and debated how to proceed from here. "The coffee in the staff kitchen is a lot better, so now you have an in." He couldn't ask why he was here. Or was it impolite not to ask? He really needed an app for situations like this, how was anyone supposed to do the right thing?
"I know. I didn't expect running into you either. Good to see you." He offered a shrug. "Even under the circumstances."
"Oh. That's really cool, man. I'm glad you have a hobby and, you know, you're pretty no-nonsense and all, I bet you slam those kids down hard. And gently." Hartley seemed like he'd be good at advise. He was compassionate, sure, but he was kind of scary so there was no bullshitting him without getting talked down to. Something Cisco learned when working with him. He took a sip of the coffee and yeah, no, that was pretty good. Not Jitters good but better than the weak ass stuff they sold in the machine.
"I'm just here for--" Shit. What did he say now? He didn't want to go into why he was here. His eyes flickered to the nearest classroom sign and he just went with it. "I'm here for salsa dancing." Never mind that the class for was senior citizens, he was rolling with it. Too late now. He cleared his throat awkwardly. "Always good to have a new hobby and, you know, it always comes in handy. A Ramon family party always has salsa." Mostly the dip but sometimes the dance.
"Salsa dancing." Obviously he knew that was a lie, but he wasn't about to press the issue, so instead he just nodded. "I bet you show those old ladies all kinds of moves." What? He knew the salsa class, they loved him. He got free baked goods and jam a lot. Also, they were 85% women and all close to or over seventy, but whatever. He could just smile at Cisco and roll with it. He didn't want to press. "You know. If you ever want to talk about salsa dancing, outside of the group... I did take seminars for this. Counselling."
Salsa counselling. "How's it going? Aside from salsa?"
"What? You can counsel for salsa? What kind of weird seminar did you take? It's dancing, dude. You just dance. You don't talk about dance... do you?" Hartley clearly led a strange life if he was taking weird seminars like that. Was this a new age thing? Discussing the theory of salsa? Oh, how his abuela would be cursing a blue streak if he knew that. "I think I'm good, I'm just going to stick to learning as I go." But what a weird and strange offer.
Cisco sipped his coffee a little and shrugged his shoulders. How was it going? Well, Dante was dead, his mother was in pieces, his dad wouldn't speak to him, Barry was dead to him and Caitlin kept giving him pity looks. And he had his first date in months last night and he cried into his spaghetti like a weirdo and had to leave. "Good, you?"
"...interpretive dance." He should have remembered. Cisco didn't get things like that. He thought he could do an 'I know that you know that I know and if you need anything, I'm here for you' thing with some amount of subtlety, but he'd forgotten just who he was dealing with. Subtlety didn't work for him.
How did it go? Well. He was lonely, things with his parents were strained and he had no one to talk to about it, he made very little money and he really wanted more, so he could continue his experiments. He hated the state of the country and it was only getting worse, he wanted to divide the riches more evenly and someone he was closer to than most anyone else in his life was standing right in front of him and he didn't even know how to offer help. "Good too." Since they were both lying through their teeth, might as well. All right, he had to do this.
"Cisco. If there's anything other than salsa you want to talk about. I'm good with that too. I'm..." He frowned, knowing it wouldn't be accepted. "I'm your friend, all right?"
"I don't have that much time, by the way." Hartley had gotten Cisco to the coffee shop with the barista that made coffee art and so he had a heart swimming in his and Cisco had gotten a star. it looked nice and the coffee was amazing, which was the most important thing. "I need to go home and give Blue a bath. She has sensitive skin and it's itching right now, so if I don't bathe her regularly, she starts biting herself."
"You chatted up the cute guy, huh?" Cisco smiled. It felt nice to smile, actually. He hadn't smiled much today, the session had been brutal and he'd been crying earlier. Fortunately, enough time had passed and it was only obvious if someone really looked at his eyes. And seriously, he assumed no one would. "Oooh, tiny rat bath?" Cisco debated wishing him well and leaving but a small pathetic part of him didn't want to be alone today so he smiled the best he could. "Can I come help?"
"I didn't chat him up, he just knows me by now. Also, he's married, I'm just pretty." Hartley smiled back and took a sip from his coffee, then he nodded, actually surprised by the question. "Sure! She actually loves to swim. Echo was more sceptical at first, but I think Blue convinced her. Now I always have to bathe both of them." His rats were good friends, it seemed, which worked in his favour. "I have a tiny tub for them and I bought bath toys, it's cute."
"You lucky boy." Cisco smiled and shrugged his shoulders, unsure if this was a good idea. Coffee with Caitlin last week just ended up as the 'you need to work this out with Barry' discussion that just ended in him storming off and ignoring her so right now, he was a little tentative but he didn't think that'd happen with Hartley. He never knew if he was coming or going with Barry either. "That all sounds so adorable. Man, I am so in. Do they have little rubber duckies and stuff? Because that is dope."
"Yes! I have one pirate rubber ducky and a normal one, they both get a lot of play time." What could he say? His rats were adorable. "What I do is just sit on the bathroom floor and put a pail filled with some lukewarm water and then they always climb in themselves. I use cotton swabs to make sure they are washed right and because they really want it and then I have to dry them. Which means wrapping them in a towel and keeping them warm on my lap, so you can help with that. It's important work." And should be more than enough to keep Cisco's mind off of thinking up ways to chase him off.
"That sounds like a killer night. Also we can get thai food." Because Hartley had talked about thai earlier and now that was all he wanted. Cisco sipped his coffee and started to move towards the door, assuming Hartley was going to do the same. "Hey, do you have a ride or do you want me to drive you?" He had no idea if Hartley had a car or not, probably not given his status as broke as fuck and all but Cisco had recently gotten a company car. Despite the obnoxious 'STAR labs' logo, he liked it.
"Be fair warned, it's a big advertisement for STAR labs."
no subject
"Hey, I have the good stuff for you." He hadn't known that Cisco would be here and he certainly didn't mean to pry. They weren't that close. Hartley really wasn't that close to anyone and given his general conduct, that was probably for the better. But holding out a cup of fresh coffee for an occasional colleague couldn't be that wrong. "The coffee from the machine is barely drinkable."
no subject
"Erm, sorry. Yeah, no, thanks." He took the coffee awkwardly and took a few steps back, eyeing Hartley suspiciously. Hartley was a good colleague these days, always there when he needed him and always one skype call away but the fact he was just randomly here had sort of thrown him. Is this where he worked out? Did he see where Cisco was going? Aww, damn. "So ... you're here."
no subject
"I know. I didn't expect running into you either. Good to see you." He offered a shrug. "Even under the circumstances."
no subject
"I'm just here for--" Shit. What did he say now? He didn't want to go into why he was here. His eyes flickered to the nearest classroom sign and he just went with it. "I'm here for salsa dancing." Never mind that the class for was senior citizens, he was rolling with it. Too late now. He cleared his throat awkwardly. "Always good to have a new hobby and, you know, it always comes in handy. A Ramon family party always has salsa." Mostly the dip but sometimes the dance.
no subject
Salsa counselling. "How's it going? Aside from salsa?"
no subject
Cisco sipped his coffee a little and shrugged his shoulders. How was it going? Well, Dante was dead, his mother was in pieces, his dad wouldn't speak to him, Barry was dead to him and Caitlin kept giving him pity looks. And he had his first date in months last night and he cried into his spaghetti like a weirdo and had to leave. "Good, you?"
no subject
How did it go? Well. He was lonely, things with his parents were strained and he had no one to talk to about it, he made very little money and he really wanted more, so he could continue his experiments. He hated the state of the country and it was only getting worse, he wanted to divide the riches more evenly and someone he was closer to than most anyone else in his life was standing right in front of him and he didn't even know how to offer help. "Good too." Since they were both lying through their teeth, might as well. All right, he had to do this.
"Cisco. If there's anything other than salsa you want to talk about. I'm good with that too. I'm..." He frowned, knowing it wouldn't be accepted. "I'm your friend, all right?"
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
no subject
But I want to show you my current project.
I finally got rats.
no subject
Nice rats. You did good
A+ ratting.
no subject
She's Echo. She is the sweetest.
no subject
Echo is nice name. What did you call the other?
no subject
The other is called 'YOU ARE SO CUTE WITH YOUR WIDDLE TOES'.
Aka, still looking for a name. Suggestions?
no subject
That is a dope name
I would suggest either Delta or Blue.
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
no subject
no subject
no subject
no subject
no subject
no subject
"Be fair warned, it's a big advertisement for STAR labs."
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
no subject
I split coffee on my shirt and they discontinued the banana nut muffin.
I am in hell.
no subject
Most washing machines get coffee stains out these days, but the muffin is just tragedy.
no subject
HR got me a blueberry muffin. Wholewheat. Organic. It's like he wants to kill me or something.
no subject
Did you try the muffin?
no subject
No. Just glaring at it.
no subject
If you want to meet me after you're done, I'll bring you coffee and muffins. They are organic, but one of them is called 'Death by Chocolate' muffin.
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
1/2
2/2
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)
(no subject)